David Thompson, MD, FACEP
Dr. Thompson is board certified in both Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine. He is a part-time faculty
attending emergency physician in the Northwestern Memorial Hospital Emergency Department and also the Chief Information
Officer for Emergency Consultants, Inc. Thompson is actively involved in triage benchmarking, information technology
and quality assurance.
- Chief Information Officer/ Chief Medical Officer with Apollo Information Services, an industry leading coding technology company.
- Former Medical Director and Chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine of the MacNeal Health Network and the Medical Director of their Network’s Call Center for five years.
- Medical Director of the MacNeal Health Network Medical Call Center for five years.
- Clinical Instructor in Medicine at the University of Chicago.
- Actively involved in the areas of quality assurance, training, and information technology, including:
- Leadership role in guiding hospital IT infrastructure towards improved physician workflow through Internet technology.
- Chair or member of both hospital-based and national quality assurance committees.
- Leadership role for both the database design and data analysis of physician performance on key Hospital Quality Initiative (HQI) indicators being monitored by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Chief Information Officer for Apollo Information Services.
- Leads annual benchmarking studies with medical call centers to aggregated data from > 2 million telephone triage calls.
- Lecturer in the area of telephone triage.
- Author of numerous medical articles, several in two fields of special interest: chief complaint coding and patient satisfaction.
- The Adult Telephone Triage Protocols, 2nd Edition, published by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
- Education: Bachelor of Science in Engineering and Doctorate of Medicine from the University of Illinois.
- Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine, having completed a dual residency at Northwestern Memorial Hospital (Northwestern University).
- Fellow in the American College of Emergency Medicine.